How To Get A Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Card? (Complete Guide)
About Medical Marijuana in PennsylvaniaGovernor Tom Wolf signed Senate Bill 3 on April 17, 2016, to decriminalize medical marijuana in Pennsylvania and establish the state’s MMP. The SB permitted the qualified patients having at least one of seventeen qualifying medical conditions to apply for the cannabis treatment. The bill also established the rules for processors, patients, dispensaries, growers, and even caregivers. On February 15, 2018, the dispensaries opened their doors with the first marijuana sale in the state. Until 2018, only non-smokable cannabis forms were permitted to be sold. However, it was later eliminated by permitting the qualified state residents to purchase up to a 30-day supply of various forms of cannabis products, including edibles, topical and smokable.
Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program HighlightsThe entire Medical Marijuana Program in Pennsylvania is administered and overseen by the Department of Health. Any adult with a qualifying medical condition and a permanent state resident is eligible for the program. However, the essential thing required for becoming a medical cannabis patient in the state is a written recommendation from a licensed medical doctor. With a valid medical marijuana card in Pennsylvania, you can easily purchase medical cannabis products from the licensed medical dispensaries in Pennsylvania, devoid of any legal issues. The state permits you to purchase up to a 30-day cannabis supply at a time. Since recreational cannabis use is strictly prohibited in the state, the department also restricts the home cultivation of marijuana. The DOH not only provides the cannabis treatment permissions for the adult patients only but also allows the minor patients to access it all with the help of a designated caregiver assigned to administer the cannabis products on the eligible patient’s behalf.
Looking to Apply for an Medical Marijuana Card
Get Started by following these Steps:
1. Start FIlling up the 420 Evaluations form with your details.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local MMJ doctor once the submission is complete.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
What is a Medical Marijuana Card Pennsylvania?
Benefits of obtaining a Medical Marijuana Card in PA
- Lower Age Access: Legally, Medical Cannabis is only available to patients 21 years or older, but with a valid Medical Marijuana Card, underage patients can also access Medical Marijuana treatment.
- Marijuana Tax Exemptions: Several states offer lower sales taxes for medical cannabis, and consequently, with a valid 420 evaluations, you will need to pay lower prices for the preferred medical cannabis products.
- Access to State-Licensed Dispensaries: A valid medical marijuana card not only allows you to consume it legally but also lets the patients buy quality marijuana products from state-licensed dispensaries.
- Access to higher THC Products: Several patients with certain debilitating health conditions might require high-potency marijuana products to treat the medical condition right with a valid Medical cannabis card access to higher THC potent products.
Medical Marijuana Laws and regulations Pennsylvania
The possession of marijuana for recreational use is still illegal and could subject an individual to criminal penalties for its possession.
However, the permitted patients with a valid medical marijuana card can acquire up to a 30-day supply of the following cannabis products.
- Cannabis flower
Out of all the permitted forms, cannabis flower is the recent addition to the list that was previously not available. However, it is essential to note that the smoking of cannabis flowers is still illegal in Pennsylvania.
About Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania
Not every person is permitted to use medical cannabis. Only patients with qualifying medical marijuana Pennsylvania conditions can use PA medical marijuana. This includes:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Addiction Substitute Therapy
- Crohn’s Disease
- Damage to spinal cord’s nervous tissues
- Spastic and Dyskinetic movement disorders
- HIV/ AIDS
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Intractable Seizures
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurodegenerative Diseases
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Chronic or intractable or severe pains of neuropathic origin
- Terminal illness
- Sickle cell anemia
An individual using medical cannabis devoid of an appropriate prescription for any of the above-listed medical conditions could face strict penalties.
Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Laws!
Medical Marijuana Consumption LawsMedical Marijuana cannot be consumed anywhere in the state. Even if you are a qualified patient and have all the legal permissions to access medical cannabis treatment, you must follow several strict consumption laws. Only private residences and homes are allowable locations for medical cannabis consumption.
Medical Marijuana Transportation in PennsylvaniaA qualified patient or a caregiver is permitted to transport medical cannabis within the state line as long as it’s within the approved 30-day supply limit. Medical marijuana must be kept in a closed and sealed container with an essential consideration to keep it out of reach from children. However, the best way of transporting it is in the car’s trunk or at the back of the vehicle in case there is no trunk. Maintaining appropriate safety measures while transporting may lead to DUI charges.
Above Maximum Limit Possession ChargesIf a patient possesses the marijuana amount above the permitted limit or fails to follow the medical cannabis laws, they may face the following penalties.
- Possession of 30 gms or less of cannabis: The possession of 30 gms or less of cannabis is considered a misdemeanor that carries the penalty of 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Possession of more than 30 gms of cannabis: The possession of more than 30 gms of cannabis can result in up to the sentence of one year and a fine of up to $5000.
Purchasing LimitsA qualified medical marijuana patient can purchase up to a 30-day supply of cannabis medicine from licensed medical cannabis dispensaries. However, the patients can “re-up” their supply in the last seven days of the amount they have to get the medicine refilled on time. If you possess a more than 30-day supply amount, you will likely indulge in several strict criminal penalties.
Documents Required Before Applying for a Medical Marijuana Card
- Patient ID Number
- Identity proof
- State Residential Proof
- A written recommendation obtained from a licensed medical doctor
How To Get A Medical Marijuana Card in PA?
- Register Online for the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program
Register online with the Pennsylvania Medical Cannabis Program with appropriate details and information.
- Get evaluated by the PA Medical Marijuana Doctor
The Pennsylvania Department of health permits specific licensed medical doctors to recommend patients for medical cannabis treatment. The medical doctor will examine your health condition and determine the qualification for the medical marijuana program.
- Receive your medical cannabis recommendation and complete the registration
After the medical doctor’s approval, they will provide you with a written recommendation and proceed you to the PA Department of Health to register as a patient.
- Register as a patient and receive your medical marijuana card
Register as a patient with the state, and after submitting the registration, the state authorities will email your card within 14 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know if I am a qualified patient of the Medical Marijuana Program?The Federal law restricts medical cannabis use; however, a qualified patient must take note of the following:
- A qualified patient cannot consume the medicine openly; only the personal space is the best place to consume.
- Driving under the influence of cannabis is strictly prohibited.
- Crossing the state lines with medicine is strictly prohibited or may put you in legal trouble.
- Mishandling of medical marijuana can lead to losing all legitimate rights.
- Appropriate packaging of medical marijuana is essential while transporting it.